The last thing anyone would want to hear after going through an accident is that their motorcycle was defective, or at least some part thereof, due to which they ended up being seriously injured. This sounds harsh, but it happens more than you think.
If one unfortunately ends up being involved in an accident after seeking medical care, they should soon contact a motorcycle accident attorney. If defective parts cause the accident, the manufacturer can be charged for the accident under product liability law, and your attorney can claim financial settlement for you.
Table of Contents
Motorcycle Defects That Lead to Serious Accidents
A motorcycle, like any other vehicle, is a complex piece of machinery that needs to be maintained and serviced timely for optimal performance and safety. However, there are manufacturing defects or replaced part defects like brake failure, engine failure, tire puncture, or even a leaking fuel tank that can lead to undesired accidents.
Here are a few common motorcycle defects that can cause serious accidents:
Worn-out Brakes/Brake Failure
- A fault or defect in braking systems or, even worse, a total brake failure when riding a motorcycle can pose a serious threat to the rider.
- The rider will most likely not be able to stop their motorcycle in time, causing a serious collision involving other lives too.
- The first thing that comes to mind when talking about defective tires is the tread separating from the tire, leading to a blowout. This causes an immediate loss of control of the motorcycle and drastically increases the chances of an accident.
- However, not only blowouts but even a tire puncture midway or worn-out tires can cause riders to lose control and get involved in an accident.
- An engine breaking down in the middle of the road is just not a situation you want to experience.
- Engine failure will lead to stalling on a road where you should be moving, increasing the chance of a collision and control loss.
- A dangerous experience ensues if one finds their handlebars all locked up due to a malfunction.
- The rider cannot steer their motorcycle, which can lead to a collision with a moving vehicle or a still object.
Defective Fuel tank
- Mostly, fuel tank malfunctions like gas leakage happen due to manufacturing defects or design defects.
- Gas leakage can cause severe burns to the rider and cause a fire as well.
- During the night, one can get into an accident if their headlights are not working.
- Other vehicles will not be able to look out for the motorcycle, and even if they do, it might be too late.
What to Do in the Case of a Motorcycle Accident That Was Caused Due to a Defect?
In the case of accidents happening due to motorcycle defects, one may not be able to file a claim against the liable party themselves. A skilled motorcycle accident attorney can come to your assistance for the same and get you your claims or financial settlements.